This is a review of the online course Career Mind Mastery: Learn How To Get Your Dream Job by Tom Cassidy and Angela Loeb.
This is part of our series of reviews for online UX courses. Although this course does not specifically target UX job seekers, it is worth a look from the perspective of reshaping your mindset for career success. This is relevant to any job seeker or individual going through a career transition, regardless of industry.
- Course Name: Career Mind Mastery: Learn How To Get Your Dream Job
- Author: Tom Cassidy and Angela R Loeb.
- Hosted by: udemy
- Length: 30 lectures approx 5 hours of video content, a mix of video interviews/sketchnote videos, and slide presentations. There is also a workbook for each of the 13 areas so that you can track your thoughts and activities.
- Intended Audience: Job seekers and those wanting to make a career transition. Not specific to the UX industry. Marketed to people who struggle with focus or willpower.
- What You’ll Learn: How to apply the concept of 13×4 (a customizable goal setting system) to your job search or career transition. The course goes into some depth about how to approach the different aspects of your job search—interview success, marketing yourself, personal branding, cultivating connections, attitude and proactivity etc. This course endeavours to reshape your mindset as well as providing practical takeaways.
- Assumed Knowledge: None, although the course is part of a four-part series, so some terms are not introduced well—no doubt because they were mentioned in a previous course.
- Price at time of review: US $97 (Tom is kindly offering this course to UX Mastery readers for $39 for a limited time—use the discount code career-39)
Are you losing confidence or focus in your job search or career decision-making? If you are, this course may be very beneficial for you.
In my experience, when you are looking for a job or considering a career change, mindset is critical. Confidence in your ability to succeed in an interview or market yourself to an employer can be a game-changer. The concepts in this course can be applied to anyone who wishes to reshape their mindset around career transition or job seeking.
The course hinges around the ideological concept of “13×4”, the “Minimum Will System That Creates Everyday Results”. The presenters take you through how to apply this concept to the various facets of job seeking or career transitioning so that you have the best chance of being successful.
The 13×4 concept did take me some time to get my head around before I was actually able to launch into the material. Part of the issue is that the pivotal 13×4 concept itself was not introduced well. The course assumed you had already taken the prior four courses, where 13×4 is introduced and explained. The presenters certainly did a great job of pulling me in and getting me excited about the overarching concept, but I felt at times I got rather overwhelmed and bogged down in the many facets of the 13×4 wheel.
I thought that this course included an appropriate mix of tangible (practical) and intangible (spiritual & motivational) advice. Some of the lectures talk about your “Deal with the Universe” (getting out of the universe what you put into it). Whilst I think there is some value in this concept when applied to job-seeking, how much it resonates will depend on the individual. A positive frame of mind is an asset in the job-seeking world, but some people may become frustrated with those lectures that hinge around the spiritual elements of the 13×4.
All this being said, there are many practical takeaways to be found in this course. There are tips on ways to build a story in an interview; how to optimize your LinkedIn profile; how to market yourself as a “product”; how to “recession proof your life”; ways to approach behavioural interviewing and much more.
I came away from the course with a laundry list of things to think about in terms of my own personal career transition, particularly with regard to personal branding, self-marketing and story-telling. I consider this a good gauge that the course resonated with me and thus held considerable value.
The lectures are logically structured and each subheading or lecture hinges around one of the 13 aspects of the wheel. Because the 13×4 is customizable and you don’t need to start in any particular domain, you can jump around the course with little interruption to continuity.
Both presenters were clear, charismatic and authoritative. Tom Cassidy, a Brit, is an Internationally Published author and Thought Engineer and Angela Loeb, an American, is a Writer, Speaker & Personal Vision Consultant. They both came across as experts in their respective fields, and from a purely aural perspective, the difference in their accents may appeal to quite a broad audience.
The tone of the course is conversational. I personally liked this approach, although at times it was too conversational between the two presenters and like any conversation, occasionally went off onto tangents.
- A good balance of practical tips and motivational insights.
- The material deals with a broad range of job-seeking aspects—marketing yourself, social media profiles, interviewing techniques, personal branding etc.
- The presenters were engaging.
- Not specific to UX, so no material on how to approach putting together a design portfolio, for example.
- Slightly evangelical at times, but not overly so.
- The content could be made more accessible. There are no transcriptions or captions available on the videos and much of the content exists as slide shows that visually impaired users may have trouble accessing.
- Content (how useful, up to date, practical, and comprehensive): 8.5/10
- Delivery (presentation style, pace, clarity, authority): 8/10
- Production (video quality, audio quality, editing): 8/10
- User interface (reliable infrastructure, usable interface, convenient): 7.5/10
- Overall rating: 8/10
- Download Course Workbook
- The Deal
- Additional Stuff
- Pearls from 13×4 Career Transition Workshop
- Recession-Proof Your Life
- LinkedIn Tips: Optimise Your Profile
- LinkedIn Tips: Growing Your Network – Slides & Videos
Career Mind Mastery: Learn How to Get your Dream Job is hosted at udemy.
Note: This post contains affiliate links, so if you do decide to enrol in the course, we’ll receive a percentage of the sale, to help pay the hosting bills.