It’s been a few months since we ran a live event and boy do we have a treat in store for you!
To celebrate the upcoming launch of our new collaborative ebook “Products, Projects & Experiences” we’re hosting a live panel event with three amazing people who blow our minds with their ideas. It just so happens that said UXers are also contributors to our book. Funny that.
The topic of the discussion is The Rhythms and Habits of Successful UX Practitioners and our panelists will share practical tips, ideas and tools that they use to do good work, collaborate effectively and explore their vocations more deeply.
They are Laura Klein, Dan Szuc and Jorge Arango. Each has an important contribution to the topic, and a very different set of experiences and approaches, but all three have found great success, satisfaction and longevity in their careers, which is something we all aspire to.
Here are some big picture topics up for discussion that might give you some ideas.
- Most workplaces today are still very much geared towards driving efficiency, productivity, and growth. As a result, people often feel work is wasteful, busy, stressed and purposeless. What would happen if we changed our mindset and allowed ourselves to choose projects that are energising and empowering?
- Our personal solutions are usually driven by our own strengths, weaknesses and goals. How can we explore these things to make career and vocation choices that drive us towards success?
- It can be difficult to translate important philosophical decisions and beliefs into practical outcomes. How can we ensure our career is moving in a direction that satisfies our emotional and spiritual, as well as professional needs?
- Where: Google ‘Hangouts on Air’ with YouTube Live Streaming
- When: 5pm Thursday 4 April PDT or 11am Friday 5 April AEDT (or find out what time that is for you)
Meet Laura Klein
Laura fell in love with technology when she saw her first user research session in 1995. Since then, she’s worked as an engineer, UX designer, and product manager at both startups and large companies in Silicon Valley.
She is the author of UX For Lean Startups (O’Reilly ’13) and Design for Voice Interfaces (O’Reilly 2015) and her product management book, Build Better Products (Rosenfeld 2016) will be coming out later this year. She currently trains and coaches product teams that want to improve their research, UX, and product development processes.
Follow Laura on Twitter at @lauraklein
Meet Daniel Szuc
He has been involved in the UX field for over 20 years, and has been based in Hong Kong for over 20 years. Dan has lectured about user-centered design globally. He has co-authored two books including Global UX: Design and Research in a Connected World (Morgan Kaufmann, 2011) with Whitney Quesenbery and The Usability Kit (SitePoint, 2008) with Gerry Gaffney.
Follow Dan on Twitter at @dszuc
Meet Jorge Arango
Jorge designs systems that connect people to knowledge and each other.
Over the past 25 years, he’s helped a broad range of organisations — from non-profits in the developing world to Fortune 500 corporations — produce information environments that generate lasting value for themselves and society.
Besides his design consulting practice, Jorge also teaches (adjunct professor at the California College of the Arts), writes (co-author of the well known polar bear book Information Architecture: for the Web and Beyond (O’Reilly 2015) and author of Living in Information, Rosenfeld 2018), speaks at global UX conferences, and hosts a podcast about more mindful personal information management (https://TheInformed.Life).
More at https://jarango.com
How will the session work?
We will be live streaming the session on our YouTube channel. If you’d like to ask questions of the panel during the session, use the chat feature there. If you can’t make the live session but have questions, we’d love to collect them ahead of time and ask the panel on your behalf. You can ask them in the comments below. We’ll publish the responses (along with the full transcript) in the days following the session.