July is all about careers here at UX Mastery, and if there’s one person that knows his stuff when it comes to UX careers, it’s Cory Lebson. After all, he literally wrote the book on it! Cory is author of The UX Careers Handbook and he is going to be honouring us with his presence as special guest for our next Ask the UXperts session, which is all about planning your UX career.
In this session we’ll be talking about UX Adventures, what employers look for in candidates, how to transition into UX without a formal education, how to decide which jobs to apply for based on your skill-set, and much, much more!
- Where: Our dedicated ‘Ask Cory’ Slack channel (You’ll need to request an invitation if you haven’t yet joined our Slack channel)
- When: 2pm Wednesday 27 July PDT or 7am Thursday 28 July AEST
(or find out what time that is for you)
Meet Cory Lebson
Cory Lebson (@corylebson), author of The UX Careers Handbook (CRC Press, 2016), has been a user experience consultant for over 20 years. He is the Principal and Owner of Lebsontech LLC, a successful user experience consulting firm he established in 1997. Lebsontech is focused on user research and evaluation, user experience strategy, UX training, and mentoring.
Cory also speaks frequently on topics related to UX career development, user experience, user research, information architecture, and accessibility. He has been featured on the radio and in addition to his recent book, has published a number of articles in a variety of professional publications.
Cory has an MBA in marketing and technology management, as well as an MA in sociology and a BS in psychology. Cory is a past president of the User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA) International and is also a past president of the UXPA DC Chapter.
How to Ask Your Questions
If you can’t make the live session but have questions, we’d love to collect them ahead of time and we’ll ask Cory on your behalf. You can submit your questions here. We’ll publish the responses (along with the full transcript) in the days following the session.
Here are a few questions to get you thinking:
- What is a UX Adventure and how can it help with portfolio creation? (Clue: A UX adventure can be anything you do outside of your normal UX workflow that you enjoy doing but which also can help enhance your resume and validate your brand as a UX professional.)
- I have experience as a UX practitioner for a large brand. Do you have any tips for transitioning into agency work?
- I’m looking to step up into a leadership role. Do you have any advice around how to best position myself for that move?
How does Ask the UXperts work?
These sessions run for approximately an hour and best of all, they don’t cost a cent. We use a dedicated public Slack channel. That means that there is no audio or video, but a full transcript will be posted up on here in the days following the session.